Apple Pecan Pastry Log
A nice, light pastry. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Tools: paring knife, medium cooking pot, vegetable peeler, cutting board, pastry mat, rubber spatula, baking pan, pastry brush, and large spoon
- 5 large apples
- 1.5 sticks of butter
- 1.5 cups of chopped pecans
- Filo dough
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbs. lemon juice
- 2 tbs. grated ginger
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup light brown sugar (plus 2 tbs. for sprinkle)
- 2 tbs. cinnamon (plus 1 tsp for sprinkle)
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop pecans.
- Peel and chop apples.
- Put apple, ginger, 1 stick of butter, maple syrup, and sugar into cooking pot on medium heat for about 20 minutes or until mixture is soft.
- Add lemon juice, salt pepper, orange peel, cinnamon, and pecans.
- Mix well and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Roll out filo dough and spread softened mascarpone on dough. Spread apple mixture 2” thick on the filo dough.
- Roll the dough into a log, pinch the ends and place onto a baking sheet.
- Melt the remaining ½ stick of butter and spread butter on the top with the pastry brush. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on the top.
- Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes.
Spicy Cow Pea* Apple Salad
A simple salad great for dinner, lunch or a side with pork.
*Any type of southern pea will work
Tools: paring knife, vegetable peeler, cutting board, sauce pan, rubber spatula and spoon
- 4 large apples (tart variety)
- 2 cups cow pea (or any southern pea)
- 1 large white onion
- 1/4 cup grated ginger
- 1 hot chili (thai or habanero pepper will do)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbs shoyu (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp horseradish
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tsp hot mustard powder
- Shell and rinse peas. Cook on a rolling boil, in a medium sauce pan for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and add a dash of salt.
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- Dice peppers and onion into fine pieces.
- Peel and grate ginger.
- Mix apples, peas, onions, ginger, pepper and horseradish. Add shoyu, coconut milk, oil, vinegar, mustard , salt and pepper to taste.
- Let sit in refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Will stay good in fridge for up to one week.